As Hurricane Sandy bears down on the United States with dangerous intent, I read an article that the US servicemen who guard the Tomb of The Unknowns, would not be taking refuge from the storm. They would instead, treat it like any other day and stand guard, just as they have since 1948. Bravery? Dedication? Or just plain stupidity?
Now don’t get me wrong, I admire the brave men and women of the armed forces who fight to protect our countries. I also take my hat off to the many who died in the wars. Their contribution is admirable. Still, I think that these soldiers lives should not be put at risk while their superiors are most likely hiding out from the storm. I am sure that the dead soldiers that they are guarding would rather they seek self-preservation than guard their remains. It’s a good show of respect yes, but also a good show of stupidity and misdirected commitment.
I think that if the dead unknowns could talk they would say, “Don’t be idiots, we are already dead. Do you want to end up like us? Go run for cover! We’ll still be here when it’s all over.” I can understand firemen risking their lives to save the living but risking your life to save the dead? Doesn’t make sense.
Just my take.
- Tomb of the Known Unknowns (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Everything Else In D.C. May Be Shut Down, But Not The Tomb Of The Unknown Soldier (businessinsider.com)
- Amazing photo: Sentinels brave forces of Hurricane Sandy to stand guard at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; Correction: Photo taken in September 2012 (twitchy.com)
- Soldiers Stand Guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington during Hurricane Sandy (IMAGE) (americanlivewire.com)
- Amazing photo: Sentinels brave forces of Hurricane Sandy to stand guard at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier; Correction: Photo taken in September 2012 (gds44.wordpress.com)