You were the first Diva. Surrounded by a sturdy and respected family. You carried yourself with poise and with your Midas touch, everything around you turned to gold. Whitney, who could have seen it coming that you would choose the path you took? Certainly not me.
I followed you as best I could as there were no Twitter or Facebook. I read about your demise. First in the National Enquirer which I was loath to believe at first. Whitney a drug addict? No way! Not the Whitney Houston I know. Your mom is the famous and clean Cissy Houston, and Dionne Warwick is your cousin. Your God Mother is Aretha Franklin! Not you. Not my Whitney.
Then I read it in more reputable news media. Indeed it was so. You were down the path of self ruin. Some blamed it on your union with bad boy Bobby Brown. I missed you then.
I heard of your comeback and was ecstatic! You had beaten your demons! Or so I thought. Little did I know it was just a temporary moment of sanity. Whitney, you even went live and professed to have been rehabilitated! How could you Whitney? How could you? Your concerts were embarrassing, or so I heard. People walked out on my Whitney. The Diva. The sadness, the pain. To see you reduced to this…I never thought it could get any worse.
Then it did. News broke on Saturday, February 11 2012 that you had finally found eternal peace. The elusive peace you sought out with Crack Cocaine. I was in disbelief. Again. No! Not My Whitney! She can’t die! Too young, too good.
I was never a CSI junkie but I was sure that your demise was the product of your addiction. I thought of MJ, Elvis, Amy Winehouse and others just like you who sought out drugs to hide their anguish, only to succumb to its power. My Poor Whitney…Gone too soon.
And I will always love you.
- Did Whitney Houston’s Mix Of Xanax & Alcohol Cause Her Death? (hellobeautiful.com)
- R.I.P. Whitney (writerfighter.wordpress.com)
- Whitney Houston Death – Dionne Warwick, Cissy Houston Say Whitney Seemed Fine Just Before Death (mzrocklanta.com)
- Whitney Houston Was “The Voice!” (wwwclara54.wordpress.com)
- Jennifer Hudson Delivers Emotional Whitney Houston Tribute at the Grammys (popsugar.com)
- Dionne Warwick & Cissy Houston Spoke To Whitney Moments Before Her Death (hellobeautiful.com)