A Wedding Fit For A Queen
A couple in England are probably still pinching themselves after Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip surprised them at their wedding. Frances and John Canning jokingly invited the queen and her husband to their nuptials after they heard that the royals would be in the same town, Manchester, on the day they were to exchange vows. They received a reply declining their offer.
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were in Manchester on an official tour celebrating the queen’s Diamond Jubilee. She has reigned as Britain’s monarch for 60 years. What the Cannings did not know was that the palace was secretly making arrangements for her majesty and Prince Philip to attend the wedding on Saturday. The royals arrived minutes after the vows were over and posed for pictures, chatted with the bride and groom, and told the bride how lovely she looked, as well as wished the newlyweds all the best.
Frances was thrilled to have the queen and prince at her wedding, saying, “We’re going to have to get a bigger wedding album now.” Husband John added that it was “one of the best presents you could wish for.”
I am not a fan of the Monarchy but I must say this adds a touch of sensitivity and a more human side to the oft aloof palace. Good on you, Queen! More of that please.
- Queen Elizabeth Crashes Wedding in England (people.com)
- Queen Elizabeth stuns bride and groom by accepting invite (cnn.com)
- Queen Elizabeth drops in on wedding (examiner.com)
- Wedding crasher: UK queen drops in on ceremony (hosted.ap.org)
- Her Royal Highness Wedding Crasher! (perezhilton.com)
- Gotta Watch: Queen Elizabeth surprises (news.blogs.cnn.com)